Colonel Brian Johnson is the 101st Air and Space Operations Group Commander, Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida. He is responsible for Title 32 Florida Guardsmen that support the 601st Air Operations Center.
Col. Johnson earned his commission in May of 1991 when he graduated from the United States Air Force Academy. He then attended Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) at Williams Air Force Base, Arizona, and earned his wings in October of 1992. After completing C-5 training at Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma, his first operational flying assignment was in the C-5 at Travis Air Force Base, California. In 1994 he completed Pilot Instructor Training and spent three years at Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma, instructing UPT students in the T-37. He was selected for fighter training and completed the Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals Course in 1997, followed by initial F-15 training at Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida. After a 3-year F 15 assignment at Elmendorf, Air Force Base, Alaska, he returned to Tyndall Air Force Base as an F-15 Instructor Pilot (IP).
In 2004, Col. Johnson transitioned to the Florida Air National Guard and the 601st Air and Space Operations Center. In May of 2009, he was selected to serve as the Director of Operations in the 2nd Fighter Squadron and returned to the 601st Air and Space Operations Center in June of 2010. While assigned there, he served in a variety of assignments including: Deputy Chief, Strategy Division; Chief, Combat Plans Division; and Chief, Combat Operations Division.
1991 Bachelor of Science Degree, USAF Academy, Colo.
1997 Masters of Business Administration, Phillips University, Enid, Okla.
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence)
2010 Air War College (correspondence)
2014 Advance Joint Professional Military Education
1. Jul 1991 - Oct 1992, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. Nov 1992 - Jan 1994, C-5 Pilot, 22nd Airlift Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
3. Feb 1994 - Sep 1997, T-37 Instructor Pilot, 8th Flying Training Squadron, Vance AFB, Okla.
4. Oct 1997 - Feb 1998, F-15 Student Pilot, 2nd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. Mar 1998 - Apr 2001, F-15 Pilot/Flight Commander, 54th Fighter Squadron/12th Fighter Squadron Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
6. Apr 2001 - Sep 2004, F-15 IP/Assistant Director of Operations, 95th Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
7. Oct 2004 - Apr 2009, Combat Plans Division, 601st Air and Space Operations Center, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
8. May 2009 - May 2010, F-15 IP/Director of Operations, 2nd Fighter Squadron Tyndall AFB, Fla.
9. Jun 2010 - Apr 2012, Deputy Chief, Strategy Division, 601st Air and Space Operations Center, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
10. Apr 2012 - Sep 2013, Chief, Combat Plans Division, 601st Air and Space Operations Center, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
11. Sep 2013 - Nov 2014, Chief, Combat Operations Division, 601st Air and Space Operations Center, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
12. Nov 2014 - present, commander, 101st Air and Space Operations Group, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,400
Aircraft flown: C-5, T-37, T-38, F-15
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
AF Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
AF Longevity Service
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
AF Training Ribbon
United States Coast Guard Special Operations Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait
Florida Service Ribbon
Louisiana Emergency Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1991
First Lieutenant May 29, 1993
Captain May 29, 1995
Major Apr.01, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 19, 2007
Colonel May 24, 2012
(Current as of December 2014)