Chief Master Sgt. Tony L. Whitehead is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, Continental U.S. North American Aerospace Defense Command Region, and Command Chief Master Sergeant, 1st Air Force (Air Forces Northern), Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla. He advises CONR-1AF (AFNORTH) commander on matters influencing the health, morale and welfare of assigned enlisted personnel and their families. First Air Force is one of three numbered air forces assigned to Air Combat command and has the responsibility of ensuring the air sovereignty and air defense of the continental United States (CONUS). As the CONUS geographical component of the bi-national North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), it provides airspace surveillance and control and directs all air sovereignty activities for the continental United States.
Chief Whitehead entered the Air Force in December 1982. His background encompasses a myriad of positions and assignments in the Security Specialist and Security Forces career field. He joined the Florida ANG in April 1994. He was activated September 11, 2001 and served as the 125th Fighter Wing First Sergeant with primary responsibility over members of the Mission Support Group and all activated Airmen. In September 2003, he was selected as the Operations Superintendent and Security Forces Manager for the 125th Security Forces Squadron. In April 2010, he was assigned to the ANG Readiness Center after being selected as the Security Forces Career Field Manager, representing more than 7,300 Defenders across 90 wings in 54 states, territories, and the District of Columbia. During this period, he also served as the Superintendent to the Director, Installations and Mission Support.
The Chief has deployed in support of Operations Southern Watch and Enduring Freedom, including a tour as Provost Sergeant Major to the 10th Area Support Group Provost Marshal, Camp As Sayliyah. In addition to his duties as 1AF Command Chief, Chief Whitehead presently serves as a member of the ANG Enlisted Field Advisory Council (EFAC) and the Senior Enlisted Council for USNORTHCOM. Prior to his current assignment, Chief Whitehead served as the Command Chief Master Sergeant of the Puerto Rico Air National Guard supporting USSOUTHCOM, ACC and AMC missions.
1982 Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
1983 USAF Security Police Academy, Lackland AFB, Texas
1983 Air Base Ground Defense, Camp Bullis, Texas
1986 Non-commissioned Officer Preparatory Course, Kadena Air Base, Japan
1996 Non-commissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 USAF First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2001 Senior Non-commissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 USAF Contemporary Base Issues, Jacksonville Air National Guard Base, Fla.
2008 Chief Master Sergeant Executive Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Senior Enlisted Joint PME (Legacy), Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2012 Strategic Mindset Seminar, Stimson & Associates, Inc., Arlington, Va.
2013 ANG Command Chief Orientation Course, Joint Base San Antonio, Texas
2013 Associate Degree, Criminal Justice, Community College of the Air Force
2014 AFSO21 Executive Leadership Seminar, University of Tennessee
2015 KEYSTONE Joint Command Senior Enlisted Leader Course, National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2016 Enterprise Perspective Seminar (Middle East, Eastern Europe & China), Allan L. Freed & Associates, Washington, D.C.
2017 Defense Support of Civil Authorities, Joint Knowledge Online, Suffolk, Va., by correspondence
2019 USAF Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation Course, Maxwell AFB. Ala.
2020 Bachelor of Science, Criminal Justice Administration, Columbia Southern University, Orange Beach, Ala.
1. June 1983–December 1984, Missile Security Response Team, 44th Missile Security Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
2. January 1985 –December 1989, Staff NCO, Security Ops, 18th Security Police Squadron, Kadena AB, Okinawa
3. January 1990–January 1991, NCOIC, Plans / Programs, 51st SPS, Osan AB, South Korea
4. January 1991–February 1992, Contraband Investigations, 24th SPS, Howard AFB, Panama
5. February 1992–August 1992, Security Police Flight Chief, 347th SPS, Moody AFB, Ga.
6. April 1994–May 2000, Security Response Team, Enlisted Training Manager, NCOIC, CATM, 125th SFS, Jacksonville, Fla.
7. May 2000–July 2003, First Sergeant, 125th Mission Support Group, Jacksonville, Fla.
8. July 2003–January 2007, Operations Superintendent, 125th SFS, Jacksonville, Fla.
9. January 2007–May 2010, Security Forces Manager, 125th SFS, Jacksonville, Fla.
10. May 2010–May 2013, ANG Security Forces Career Field Manager, ANGRC, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
11. May 2013–November 2015, Command Chief, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
12. November 2015–October 2018, Command Chief, 127th Wing, Selfridge ANGB, Mich.
13. October 2018– September 2019, State Command Chief, JFHQ, Puerto Rico Air National Guard, Ft. Buchanan, PR
14. September 2019–Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, CONR-1 AF (AFNORTH), Tyndall AFB, FL
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
1986 Distinguished Graduates Award, Noncommissioned Officer Preparatory Course, Kadena AB, Okinawa
2000 Eric E. Williams Commandant’s Award, USAF First Sergeant Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 125th Fighter Wing First Sergeant of the Year, Jacksonville ANGB, Fla.
2002 Florida Air National Guard First Sergeant of the Year
2008 NAACP Roy Wilkins Renown Service Award, Military Equal Opportunity Policies and Programs
2016 Facilitator, International Noncommissioned Officer Leadership Development Course (INLEAD)
2017 – 2019 Lead Facilitator, ANG Command Chief Master Sergeant Orientation Course (CCMSTC)
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Sergeants’ Association
Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States
Security Forces Association – Lifetime
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic Dec. 8, 1982
Airman June 8, 1983
Airman First Class April 8, 1984
Senior Airman July 8, 1985
Sergeant May 1, 1986
Staff Sergeant July 1, 1987
Technical Sergeant Sept. 1, 1996
Master Sergeant Aug. 7, 1999
Senior Master Sergeant June 7, 2003
Chief Master Sergeant Jan. 19, 2007
(Current as of Mar 2020)