Colonel Michael A. Valle is the Commander, 601st Air Operations Center (AOC), Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida. The 601 AOC plans, directs, and assesses air and space operations for the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and the United States Northern Command (USNORTHCOM). The AOC provides aerospace warning and control for NORAD Defensive Counter Air activities, as well as directing Air Force air and space capabilities in support of USNORTHCOM homeland security and civil support missions. The 601 AOC fills the critical need to meet the challenge of directing all air sovereignty activities for the continental United States and is the new-age combat weapon system needed to fulfill that crucial defense role by remaining vigilant 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Valle was Commander, HQ 101st Air and Space Operations Group, where he was responsible for the approximately 400 Title 32 Florida Guardsmen that staff and support the 601 AOC.
Colonel Valle was commissioned through the Air National Guard Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn., in November 1996. He is a Senior Air Battle Manager with operational experience in the Control and Reporting Center, Air Defense Sector, U.S. Air Forces Central Command's Combined Air Operations Center, and International Security Assistance Force International Joint Command Air Operations Control Center. He also served as Executive Officer to the Commander and Vice-Commander, Continental U.S. North American Aerospace Defense Command Region. He has participated in several worldwide theater operations to include Operations NOBLE EAGLE, SOUTHERN WATCH, and ENDURING FREEDOM and counter-drug operations in Panama and Colombia. Col Valle has served as Chief Combat Operations (CCO), Chief, Combat Plans Division (CPD) and Chief, Combat Operations Division (COD) at the 601 AOC. He has significant experience in Theater Security Cooperation (TSC), working primarily with Mexico and supporting USSOUTHCOM in various countries in South America. Additionally, Colonel Valle has served as an Air Expeditionary Group commander and commander of Joint Task Force-Cabo.
1993 - Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration, St. Leo University, Tampa, Fla.
2002 - Masters of Aeronautical Science in Aerospace Safety, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
2004 - Squadron Officer School, (Correspondence)
2004 - Marine Corps Weapons and Tactics Instructor Course, Yuma Marine Corps Air Station, Yuma, Ariz.
2009 - Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2013 - Air War College (Correspondence)
2015 - Air National Guard Commander’s Development Course
2015 - Executive Certificate in National Security Management, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2016 - Leadership Decision Making, JFK School, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. Sep 1986 - Jan 1991, Command Post Controller, Muñiz Air National Guard Base, San Juan, Puerto Rico
2. Jan 1991 - Jul 1993, Aerospace Control and Warnings Systems Operator, 118th Air Control Squadron, Kennesaw, Ga
3. Jul 1993 - Jan 1995, Aerospace Control and Warnings Systems Operator, 140th Air Defense Sector, Punta Salinas, Puerto Rico
4. Jan 1995 - Jul 1996, Air Surveillance Technician, Northeast Air Defense Sector, Rome, N.Y.
5. Jul 1996 - Aug 1997, Student, Undergraduate Air Battle Manager Course, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
6. Aug 1997 - Jul 1998, Air Weapons Controller, Northeast Air Defense Sector, Rome, N.Y.
7. Jul 1998 - Mar 2001, Instructor Senior Director, Southeast Air Defense Sector, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
8. Mar 2001 – May 2001, Defense Duty Officer, US Air Forces Central Command, Combined Air Operations Center, Saudi Arabia
9. May 2001 – Nov 2006, Instructor Senior Director, Southeast Air Defense Section, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
10. Nov 2006 – Sep 2008, Deputy Joint Interface Control Officer, 101 AOG, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
11. Sep 2008 - Nov 2008, Executive Officer to the Vice-Commander, First Air Force, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
12. Nov 2008 - May 2010, Executive Officer to Commander, First Air Force, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
13. May 2010 - Sep 2010, Air Operations Coordination Officer, Interational Security Assistance Force, International Joint Command, Kabul, Afghanistan
14. Oct 2010 - Jul 2011, Chief, Strategy Guidance Team, 101 AOG, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
15. Jul 2011 - Jun 2013, Deputy Chief, Combat Operations Division, 101 AOG, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
16. Jul 2013 – Jul 2014, Chief Combat Operations, Combat Operations Division, 101 AOG, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
17. Jul 2014 – Jul 2015, Chief, Combat Plans Division, 101 AOG, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
18. Jul 2015 – Jan 2017, Chief, Combat Operations Division, 101 AOG, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
19. Jan 2017 – Apr 2018, Commander, 101 AOG, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
20. Apr 2018 – Present, Commander, 601 AOC, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal Army Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor and five oak leaf clusters
AF Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one device
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 21 Nov 1996
First Lieutenant 21 Nov 1998
Captain 21 Nov 2000
Major 17 Dec 2004
Lieutenant Colonel 30 Jul 2009
Colonel 19 Jun 2013
(Current as of May 2018)