|COLONEL WILLIAM A "SCOTTY" SCOTT|
Colonel (Retired) William A. "Scotty" Scott, GS-15, DAF serves as
Chief of Staff for First Air Force (Air Forces Northern), 1AF (AFNORTH) a USAF Component numbered Air Force and Air Combat Command Numbered Air Force. Col (Ret) Scott retired in June 2000 as Vice Commander, First Air Force and Continental U.S. NORAD Region at Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla. 1AF (AFNORTH)is responsible for organizing, training, equipping and employing air and space power forces for North American Aerospace Defense Command and United States Northern Command Homeland Defense and Civil Support missions.
Colonel (Ret) Scott was born in Panama City, Florida and commissioned in 1970 as a distinguished graduate of Officer Training School. He held a variety of operational and command assignments in flying, training, operations and test and evaluation organizations at squadron, group, wing and Numbered Air Force levels as well as key staff assignments in the USAF Professional Military Education system and aerospace doctrine development community. A command pilot with more than 3,000 flying hours, his flying career includes 19 combat missions in Iraq and Kuwait.
1969 Bachelor of science degree in business administration, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.
1977 Master of science degree in systems mgt, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif.
1985 Armed Forces Staff College, Naval Air Station Norfolk, Norfolk, Va.
1992 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. June 1970 - July 1971, student, pilot training, Webb AFB, Texas.
2. August 1971 - February 1972, student, F-106 combat crew training, Tyndall AFB Fla.
3. March 1972 - April 1974, F-106 pilot, 87th Fighter Instruction Squadron, K.I. Sawyer AFB, Mich.
4. May 1974 - October 1976, F-106 instructor pilot, 2nd Fighter Instruction Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. October 1976 - October 1977, program manager for F-106 training, Air Defense Weapons Center,
Tyndall AFB, Fla.
6. October 1977 - April 1981, F-106/T-33 command flight examiner for deputy chief of staff for operations,
Directorate of Training and Standardization/Evaluation, Headquarters North American Air Defense
Command, Colorado Springs, Colo.
7. May 1981 - December 1981, student, F-16 training, MacDill AFB, Fla.
8. January 1982 - January 1983, assistant operations officer, 35th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air
Base, Republic of Korea
9. January 1983 - January 1985, F-16 instructor pilot and assistant operations officer, 72nd Tactical
Fighter Training Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
10. January 1985 - July 1985, student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
11. July 1985 - July 1986, Chief, Tactical Branch, Headquarters TAC, Langley AFB, Va.
12. July 1986 - December 1987, Chief, Fighter Division for Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations,
Directorate of Standardization/Evaluation, Headquarters TAC, Langley AFB, Va.
13. January 1988 - January 1989, operations officer, 307th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Homestead AFB,
14. January 1989 - November 1990, Commander, 4th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
15. November 1990 - June 1991, Assistant Deputy Commander for Operations, 388th Tactical Fighter Wing, Hill AFB, Utah
16. July 1991 - June 1992, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
17. July 1992 - April 1994, Deputy Commander, 475th Weapons Evaluation Group, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
18. April 1994 - June 1996, Commander, 475th Weapons Evaluation Group, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
19. July 1996 - August 1996, professor, Department of Leadership & Ethics, Air War College, Maxwell
20. September 1996 - March 1997, Commandant, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
21. March 1997 - May 1998, Vice Commander, Headquarters Air Force Doctrine Center, Maxwell AFB,
22. June 1998 - June 1999, Chief of Operations, First Air Force, Director of Operations, Continental U.S.
NORAD Region and Director, CONR Air Operations Center, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
23. June 1999 - June 2000, Vice Commander, First Air Force and Continental U.S. NORAD Region,
Tyndall AFB, Fla.
24. June 2000 - November 2002, Special Assistant to the Commander (Contractor), First Air Force,
Tyndall AFB, Fla.
25. November 2002 - 1 September 04, director of plans, programs and requirements (A-5),
Headquarters First Air Force, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
26. 1 September 04 - present. Chief of Staff (CS), Headquarters First Air Force, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
Rating: Command Pilot (Retired)
Flight hours: More than 3,480
Aircraft flown: T-33, F-106, and F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with valor device and two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with two devices
National Defense Service Medal with device
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Service Medal with three devices
Kuwait Liberation Medal
DCINC NORAD Commendation Certificate (CF)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 18, 1970
First Lieutenant May 18, 1973
Captain Oct 18, 1977
Major Apr 1, 1982
Lieutenant Colonel Oct 1, 1986
Colonel Dec 1, 1991
(Current as of August 8, 2006)